Welcome to my Blog

I am a semi-retired former Scottish trade union policy wonk, now working on a range of projects. This includes the Director of the Jimmy Reid Foundation. All views are my own, not any of the organisations I work with. You can also follow me on Twitter. Or on Threads @davewatson1683. I hope you find this blog interesting and I would welcome your comments.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Fred Goodwin pension

We were supporting the STUC 'Better Way' photocall in Glasgow this lunchtime. Really good turnout of local UNISON members expressing their anger at the attacks on their modest pension provision.

The aim was to highlight the real pension scandal by comparing Fred Goodwin's pension of £13,500 per week with a typical public sector pension of £80 per week. Fred the Shred may be iconic of the greed that got us into this mess, but his fat cat pension is not untypical of lots of top bosses. They have been awarding themselves big pensions while cutting pension benefits for their workers. Then they have the nerve to attack pensions in the public sector as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment